The Tumwater Farmers Market accepts SNAP benefits and matches them up to $10 per week for as long as funds are available. Use your EBT card and SNAP account to buy fresh, local foods at the market every Wednesday during the market season. Come to the Market Manager’s booth to learn more about SNAP.
How Does Market Match Work?
• Bring your EBT card to the Market Manager’s booth.
• Decide how much you want to spend at the market and tell a staff person you want to use your SNAP benefits.
• Swipe your EBT card and enter your PIN number, and a staff person will enter the amount you request.
• Sign into the record book.
• Once the transaction is approved, you’ll be given a receipt and red SNAP wooden tokens worth $1 each plus up to $10 in matching tokens to spend at the market.
• Shop for SNAP eligible foods using these red tokens.
• Note that vendors are not allowed to give change for the coins.
• The red SNAP tokens do not expire and can be used at the market the same day or at another time during the market season May-September.
• Tokens are only good for use at the Tumwater Farmers Market and are not refundable.
What can I purchase at the market with my tokens?
(from the USDA Food and Nutrition Service)
Households CAN use SNAP benefits to buy:
• bakery goods
• fruits and vegetables
• jams and preserves
• meats, fish and poultry
• coffee beans
• dairy products
• honey, condiments, and fresh culinary herbs
• seeds and plants which produce food for the household to eat
Households CANNOT use SNAP benefits to buy:
• beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco
• pet foods
• soaps and paper products
• household supplies
• ornamental plants and flowers
• vitamins and medicines
• hot foods and food that is intended to be eaten in the market
Farmers Market Nutrition Program (FMNP)
WIC and Senior Nutrition Program Coupons issued through the Farmers Market Nutrition Program are also accepted at some farm vendors at Tumwater Farmers Market. Look for the posted sign at each vendor booth. For more information, email Washington Dept of Health at FMNPTeam@doh.wa.gov or call toll-free at 1-800-841-1410.